About Me

Hi, I'm Debbie. Sometimes, people like ask me what I do. Good question. I'm not always sure how to answer it myself! I'm hoping this blog helps me answer that question, or is at least fun to read along the way.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What's Up?

Hi there.  I'm Debbie.  I've been thinking, on and off, about starting a blog now for a while.  I've also been chicken about it.  I've blogged before.  Back in 2004, when my (then) colicky daughter was born, I wrote a mommy-blog that pretty much nobody read, but it felt good to write.  I also wrote for while as part of a group with the WM Parenting blog.  (The WM stands for "Working Mommies."  No one ever seemed to know that.)

Now I'm a mom who's kids are in school during the day.  I'm still home.  This is a crazy amount of time suddenly dumped in my lap.  I'd be lying to say that in some way, I haven't been looking forward to this in one way or another.  But it does beg the question: What are you going to do all day? 

Hmm...good question.

I can say this: after 8 years of intense stay-at-home parenting (ie: some sort of kid underfoot except for maybe 2 hours or so in preschool, or an hour at the gym daycare), there are lots of things that have been neglected.  Pushed onto the back burner, so to speak.  These range anywhere from the home (a collection of toys, clothes, and scattered "crafts"), to a rather physical me (hmm...when is the last time I got a haircut? or met up with certain girlfriends?), to more elusive seeming things like my creative/writerly side.  Oh, and sometimes I think it would be nice to figure out a way to make money, even as everyone (myself included, at least for now) wants me to be stickin' around the actual home.

So far, I've signed up for school volunteer work, gone for a run, hit the gym, cut the lawn, met a friend/writer for coffee, queried a local parenting magazine, tried to put together various hot wheels sets, visited my grandparents, applied for about three innocuous sounding "gigs", freaked out looking at LinkedIn and wondered how people actually use it, vacuumed the upstairs, made a peach cobbler, donated some old clothes to the Veterans, called an old college pal, met up with my husband at lunch, used the library for myself, read a few books, investigated new eyeglasses, wasted time reading fun blogs, cleaned my desk, and blow-dryed my hair.  Phew!  Sounds like I'm busy.  Okay, maybe not really.  I feel like I should have a strategy.  Or not.  Maybe I should just relax for a bit. 

Oh, and one more thing: apparently, I've started a blog.  Maybe it will help me figure out what exactly I am up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment